According to the CDC only 1 out of 10 Americans eat enough fruits and vegetables each day. It is recommended that adults consume 2-3 fruit serves, 4-5 vegetable servings daily to maintain adequate vitamin and mineral balance. According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, there are 13 vitamins that our body can’t live without: vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12 and folate).
Adopting a healthy lifestyle is the beginning to living a long and happy life. Incorporating daily physical activity, proper nutrition and healthier life choices can positively impact your physical and mental health, playing an influential role in increasing your life’s longevity.
Try these tips to help you make healthier choice:
- Avoid processed foods that contain sugar, saturated fat and a lot of sodium
- Eat more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, diary and lean protein
- Use healthy oils such as olive oil to cook
- Make sure to add either 1 cup of any salad of your choice or a 1/2 cup of vegetables to lunch and dinner
- Search for protein that is free of antibiotics and pesticides
- Buy local produce from a local farmers’ market for foods that as close to nature as it gets!